About COTA ACT
COTA ACT is the peak organisation for all issues relating to older Canberra citizens, seniors, those of mature age and their families. It is an independent organisation working to protect and promote the well-being, rights and interests of all older people in the ACT. COTA ACT is a member of an Australian wide organisation – COTA Australia – and contributes to the development of national policies and agendas. We cover all aspects of the journey of growing older.
What COTA Does
COTA ACT talks to Government, the media and the community about issues of direct concern to all older people in the ACT. We make regular submissions to government on issues affecting older people.
As a member of several ACT government standing committees COTA ACT has ongoing input into the advice going to government.
COTA ACT also provides services – some on behalf of government – for older Canberra citizens.
COTA ACT offers a range of programs, services, seminars, information sessions, events and research projects which advocates for, meets the needs of, and engages the interests of older Canberrans.
History of COTA
COTA ACT as been looking after the needs of older people in the ACT since 1973. Almost 3,000 people are members of COTA ACT and benefit from a range of exclusive services.
Over the years COTA ACT has been active in identifying gaps in services and policies for older Canberrans and programs have then been developed in response to identified needs. Part of the response has been in ensuring that appropriate and effective structures are developed. COTA ACT has been involved in the development of more than a dozen service groups and organisations in the ACT. These include Meals on Wheels, Home Help, Handy Help, Carers ACT, SHOUT, Community Options and The University of the Third Age (U3A).
COTA ACT uses surveys, forums and focus groups to assess gaps and develop information materials and policies. In recent years we have undertaken research and sought member feedback on a number of issues including election priorities, medical services, transport and road safety.
For more information about COTA membership click here
COTA ACT provides a range of direct services which are partly supported through membership contributions. These services include:
- Providing advice and referrals to individuals on a wide range of issues through the Seniors Information Line, which receives over 1,500 calls per month.
- Coordinating a range of events, including information sessions, workshops and ACT Seniors Week.
- Publishing and distributing a range of information resources.
- Assisting older people to access appropriate housing and aged care, through our Housing Options Advisor.
- Administering the Seniors Card Directory and the ACT Seniors Card scheme.
- Publishing advice for older drivers, through the Older Drivers’ Handbook and A Guide to Getting around Canberra.
- Offering health and lifestyle information through our Community Education programs.
- Speaking to community groups and the public on a range of topics.
COTA ACT produces a number of publications, including the ACT Seniors Card Directory, A Guide to Getting Around in Canberra, the Older Drivers’ Handbook, and a wide range of brochures on topics of interest to seniors such as social activities, fitness programs, home care support, transport and others.
COTA ACT Staff